Question of the Week: Transitioning- Frustration with Breakage

Question:

First off I'm so glad I found your blog. A young in my church told me about you and your journey and let me say it'd truly inspiring!!

I'm transitioning and I'm 6 months post! I'm having a very hard time finding the right products to moisturize my hair. I watch product reviews on YouTube for hours just trying to find the best products. I've tried Shea moisture, Karen's body beautiful, Bask Beauty, Curly Kinks, Darcy's Botanical, etc. Cowashing doesn't help and when I moisturize and seal by hair within 30 mins my hair dry again. I deep condition with moisture and protein to keep the balance but I'm having tons of breakage!! In my sink there's always tons of short broken off pieces of my relaxed hair. Honestly I'm just getting discouraged because I feel like I'm doing the right things but its getting me no where. Any suggestions? 

Thank you for your time!!

Answer: 


Unfortunately breakage- and at times tons of it- is part of the transition process. The best thing you can do is moisturize, deep condition often and be gentle. 

Let me ask, what are you currently using to wash and condition your hair? When I transitioned I found it important to use an organic shampoo and conditioner. It is less harsh (chemically) on your hair. I used Nourish Spa and Tea Tree Tingle- both found at Trader Joes. I only washed and conditioned once a week. I also deep conditioned every week. 

Also, when you want to see if a product truly works to moisturize your hair, you need to use it for at least 6 weeks. Because, as it seems to be the case, if you are beginning with severely dry hair, it will take some time to restore moisture. So take one product at a time, start a journal and pay attention to how your hair responds over time!

The method I use to moisturize is water + cream leave in conditioner + oil or butter. So I spritz with water, apply my leave in and seal in the moisture. It could be that you just aren't sealing in moisture. So I would advise picking up a leave in and bitter. Shea Moisture has a good leave in: their curl styling milk and you can use their curl enhancing smoothie to seal. 

I hope that this helps!! More than anything else, you just have to have patience. It takes time to nurse dry hair back to health. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!